So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish Posted on May 1st, 2012 by

My past 11 years at Gustavus as student-turned-employee have been wonderful, but this is my last month at Gustavus. It is now time for us to part ways.

It is difficult for me to let go of something that I have spent countless hours thinking about and working on: the Gustavus website. But, I know that I am leaving it in some very capable hands. Jerry, Billy, and Patrick have been wonderful teammates, and Bruce has been an incredible boss. The Gustavus community should feel lucky to have people like this around.

I will be making my life count by writing Ruby code as a software engineer at Causes in San Francisco, CA and am very excited to join a killer team in a big city. If you find yourself in the area, look me up. More importantly, if you know someone who wants to buy a house in St. Peter, let’s talk.

You can connect with me on LinkedIn or follow me on Twitter or Google+ if you like. I will probably post stuff about my adventures, triumphs, and lunches there.

Done!

1. Patrick McDougle says:

While it is sad to see you go, I know that this is a wonderful opportunity for you and Sam. Thank you for being a great mentor for me. The knowledge you have imparted to me will continue doing great things in the future. I wish you all the best.

P.S. Does this mean I get your mug?

2. Lisa says:

Oh, goodness! Well thank you so much for everything you’ve done! You’ve implemented things that make my work easier on a daily basis – so thank you so much and best of luck to you in the future.

3. Jessie Twaddle says:

You will be impossible to replace and missed greatly.

Have fun in your future endeavors!

Looking forward to visiting you and Sam in San Francisco….

4. Tim Kennedy says:

Joe – Gustavus has been blessed with your presence and talent for the past 11 years. It saddens me to see you go, but I am very happy for you and Sam and I wish you both much happiness. You leave a legacy of class, character, and passion for your work. It has been an honor and a privilege to have worked with you. Godspeed my friend!

5. Tom Lany says:

Joe,

It’s sad to hear that you will be leaving Gustavus, but this sounds like a great opportunity for you. I have really enjoyed using the beautiful interfaces you have created and learning from you during my time as a student. Best wishes!

6. Martin Lang says:

Whoa, congrats on the fabulous new gig in a fantastic new place. We’re better for having had you around…hope you can say the same about having been here! Fare thee well.

7. Bridget Phillips says:

Best of luck to you both on your new adventure!

8. Jeff Jenson says:

Best of luck Joe. You’ve been amazing and helped make so many things happen for the archives and library. You’ll be missed!